Annual “Day of Remembrance” Essay Contest
Each year, the So. Co. JACL invites Sonoma, Marin, Mendocino and Napa County high school and middle school students to participate in an essay contest to commemorate the Day of Remembrance (DOR), February 19. Executive Order 9066 was initiated on this day which led to the incarceration of over 120,000 American Citizens and those of Japanese ancestry during World War II. The Day of Remembrance is observed annually to remind us of this unfortunate incident in the history of the United States and the need for continued vigilance to avoid such an occurrence in the future.
Every year, a flier with the topic, criteria and deadline are sent to both public and private local schools through the English and Social Studies departments. Cash prizes are awarded for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in both middle and high school.
We encourage students to participate in this essay contest. It is always an inspiration to read how thoughtful and perceptive the students are when they write their essays.
2018 Essay Winners – Topic: Fred Korematsu
- Sirena Nordstrom Miranda – Roseland Collegiate Prep – Teacher: Rachel Sibley
- Elijah R. Judd – Tomales High School – Teacher: Fred Gilardi
- Cora Thorp – Analy High School – Teacher: Rachel Ambrose
- Andrew Riku Gilman – Adele Harrison Middle School – Teacher: Mrs. Wedell
- Isaac Yoshio Rodrigues – Twin Hills Charter Middle School
- Sakiko Pizzorno – Sunridge Charter – Teacher: Sasha Prosser
Please include a cover sheet with the following information:
- Your Name
- Phone Number
- Email Address
- Your School
- Grade Level
- Your Teacher
Essays without a cover sheet will not be accepted.
Mail Essay to:
Attn: DOR Committee
Sonoma County JACL
515 Petaluma Ave.
Sebastopol, CA 95472
For resources and any questions contact: Marie Sugiyama